Start your Humanitarian journey on the right path.
The Pre-Service Academy serves change agents from a diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and expertise. At Humanitarian Institute you'll get the tools, mindset, and network to help you forge your aid work career.
The Academy teaches hard and soft skills that empower individuals and teams to search for innovative solutions to the world’s most difficult challenges. Learn from professional humanitarians about the scope and diversity of the aid and development industry and explore career pathways you have to engage in international relief work.
The courses are varied and delivered onsite in capital cities across Australia and New Zealand, plus online.
If you're looking to create solutions to help change the world, we can help you do just that.
“When we live in a world that is very unjust, you have to be a dissident.”
Nawal El Saadawi (Egyptian feminist, writer, and psychiatrist)
Who should enrol
People who are driven to solve the world's largest challenges.
Are you constantly coming up against conventional wisdom about the world? Do the people around you not believe that the world can be a better place? Then this is where you want to be. With Humanitarian Institute you'll meet others who share your passion.
We look for people from all backgrounds...students, professionals… anyone intrigued about a career, short or long-term, in the humanitarian and international development sectors.
Are we describing you? If so, we definitely want to hear from you!
- Understand the breadth of the humanitarian sector in the 21st century: Stakeholders, systems, coordination mechanisms, legal frameworks and standards and applications relating to humanitarian management.
- Explore diverse pathways to engage in humanitarian work - domestically or internationally, short or long-term.
- Identify your personal skills, strengths and weaknesses for leveraging social change.
- Understand how ‘making a difference’ happens; your role in the process and how you can use your current skill sets to ignite change.
- Discover knowledge and skills that prepare you for the technical, emotional, physical and psychological challenges you may face when in the field.
What makes these courses different
The Pre-Service Academy exists to foster the growth of emerging humanitarians who will positively impact the lives of millions of people. If you attend the Academy, you’ll have a remarkable opportunity to learn about social change and its broader implications; grow into global innovators and thought leaders; and build a strong, diverse community of friends for life who share your commitment to solving the world’s biggest problems.
- As natural and man-made disasters increase in frequency and intensity, and as the developing world demands knowledge and skills to support their growth, there are an incredibly diverse array of opportunities for those choosing a career that makes the world a better place. The humanitarian sectors staffing needs are growing at 6% per year!
- However, to help those in need, and support communities through complex challenges, unique technical and soft skill sets are required to ensure that the change embarked upon is relevant and sustainable. Good intentions are not enough!
- The Academy courses share Humanitarian Institute’s best practices for engaging in, and facilitating professional humanitarian work. These teachings are born from 15 years of practice with the top humanitarian leaders from around the globe. We’re facilitating this course, only through Humanitarian Institute, because we believe the world needs more creative humanitarian leaders to tackle today’s toughest challenges.
- Combination of face-to-face and online learning. Use of Virtual Reality and desktop simulations. Our learning experiences will leave you prepared, skilled and primed for deployment.
- Cory Steinhauer, Humanitarian Institute’s CEO, contributes his personal humanitarian experiences through this course and thoroughly prepares students for the realities of making a difference. Over the years, he has advised the public, private, and non-government sectors in Afghanistan, Australia, Cambodia, Korea, Laos, New Zealand, Mexico, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Somalia, South Sudan, Syria, Timor, Turkey and Vietnam.
- The courses take you from Australasia to Mali, Pakistan and beyond, to capture humanitarian expertise relevant for aspiring career humanitarians. You’ll explore unique situations and challenges and be able to take these insights directly into building your international career.
- Proudly aligned to the International Humanitarian Competency Framework.